Details are out regarding the all-new 2012 Ford Ranger, and the design looks poised to step right in below the F-150 in Ford's lineup. But, sadly to longtime Ranger enthusiasts (and there certainly are some), it's not coming to the U.S.
Here's why, in short: The new Ranger hotels in bournemouth that was just introduced at the Australian International Auto Show in Sydney is a good deal larger than current versions—so much larger hotels in bournemouth that it might overlap, to shoppers, with smaller F-150 models.
hotels in bournemouth "We're moving it to a position of real capability," explained Schirmer, hotels in bournemouth saying that Ford wanted to provide "performance leadership with this model," which also unfortunately meant bringing hotels in bournemouth it to a size that would come too close to overlapping with the F-150 model lineup in North America. Although the new Ranger hotels in bournemouth is about six inches narrower hotels in bournemouth than the F-150, it's within just two or three inches hotels in bournemouth in length.
Where it will be sold, in markets ranging from the Asia-Pacific region to South America and South Africa, the new 2012 Ranger is powered by a 2.2-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine, or a 3.2-liter in-line five-cylinder turbo-diesel, making 200 hp. The larger engine makes 347 pound-feet of torque—as much as some V-8s. Those engines come mated to six-speed manual or automatic transmissions; a version of the 2.5-liter four-cylinder hotels in bournemouth engine and five-speed manual transmission are also offered.
While the exterior of this truck bears a strong likeness to the 2011 F-150, the interior carries some design cues that are part of Ford's new global look (with a central controller and high-mounted screen), as well as some detailing borrowed from the F-150 as well as Bosch and DeWalt power tools and G-Shock watches, according to the automaker. The new truck comes with the all the updated connectivity features including an iPod connector and Bluetooth, as well as steering-wheel controls.
Ford's Schirmer attributes this to several things; one of them is that the Ranger's longtime luster in company fleets has started to fade. A lot of Ranger buyers hotels in bournemouth were fleet purchasers, choosing that model only because of price, Schirmer said. "It was often times only a purchase because it was an inexpensive Ford product, not as a pickup." Which, hotels in bournemouth at the same time, always limited what could be done to keep the model updated.
Then on the personal-use side, many Rangers were bought hotels in bournemouth by commuters, who didn't really need a truck. hotels in bournemouth There, hotels in bournemouth too, it was because buyers simply wanted a low-price, fuel-efficient Ford . "It just happened to be a pickup hotels in bournemouth truck," Schirmer hotels in bournemouth quipped. "If you need a pickup to work, you're buying an F-Series."
"Ford wanted more people to be in the F-150 family," said Jesse Toprak, vice president for industry hotels in bournemouth trends at TrueCar . "There are going to be net losses" in terms of sales, added Toprak, but he thinks that the decision will save them money on both the production side—with economies of scale—and with marketing, giving them a clear product message.
However, the F-150 isn't yet as affordable or as fuel-efficient hotels in bournemouth as the Ranger. It's close in some trims, but the base Ranger's 22 mpg city, 27 highway EPA rating is still well ahead of even the base 2011 Ford F-150 V-6, which has been rated at 16/23 .
Ford is anticipating that many business buyers will move into a Transit hotels in bournemouth Connect , or into a base F-150 V-6, while other buyers might either move up to an F-150 or into a more fuel-efficient Focus or Fiesta . "We're not as heavy on the truck side as we once were," said Schirmer.
OMG, why don't they sell these in the US? Imagine a 2012 Ranger with a 2.2L Turbo Diesel that gets almost 40 MPG. They could not make them fast enough. Instead our only choice from Ford is a gas guzzling V8 F-150 or a bastardized gas powered Transit Connect. (Should come with the diesel they sell everywhere hotels in bournemouth else, then the Transit would be a fantastic vehicle instead of mediocre gas powered crap it is.)
Now there is talk of importing the India made Mahindra diesel powered truck. This Ranger makes that look like the steaming pile of Asian elephant it really is. Come on Ford, offer a diesel powered Ranger (again) here in the US. Have you looked at home many TDIs VW is selling? Hello?!?
Well, the real reason they won't sell it in the US is that they would have to import it, which would attract a 25% duty, which would make it possibly more expensive than the F-150. Secondly, they would have to go to the expense of retro-fitting V6 engines, as these are not available anywhere else. They could build it in the US, of course, hotels in bournemouth but it would be expensive and it would ultimately just steal sales away from F-150, a more profitable vehicle.
WOW. This is what I would love.. a smaller truck. Have a F150 right now and its feeling to big to me.. I need a truck but tired of the real world 14 miles per gallon and the self shifting trans.. Would love to have a diesel backed up with a shift it yourself trans.. For what I need a truck for.. this would be perfect.. Oh well Ford GM.. you need to wake up and realize not everyone wants a full size or needs one.. Maybe VW will bring their truck over with the Diesel and manual trans and sell to those of us that wish for a truck like this.. I guess the bright spot is the VW has a more pleasing look to it..
This is just a crappy decision. I have an '04 Ranger Edge that's getting up in miles and "yes" I use it as a truck as well as a commuter. I'd dearly love to have the new Ranger with the small diesel. The F-150 is great, but that's the problem. It won't fit in my garage, but the Ranger will. Ford is really screwing up with this decision. It's the same mistake they have made before with small cars... pushing bigger trucks, the Explorer, etc. The Transit Connect is great but you can't load two kayaks on or in it. This just STINKS!
The six inches narrower and 3 inches hotels in bournemouth shorter would better suit my tastes and garage. I'm driving a full size now but I've owned a Ranger and a Sport Trak. Now that Ford has discontinued both I'll have to look elsewhere when I trade next year. Not everyone who drives a pickup buys it for their job. I'm a pharmacist who lives in rural Oklahoma. I've driven pickups for 20 years and all but the current one has been compact. I think Ford is pulling a real BONER on this move. I will not buy another full size truck due to poor gas mileage. I would love to have a 5 cylinder diesel!
OK, so because the previous ranger was a basci vehicle and not great, Ford spend all these money on making a truck that could lead the sector and then doesn't hotels in bournemouth sell it? Also need to improve fuel economy but we stick with a truck that is less fuel effecient?
Really what Ford US is saying we only know how to sell big dumb trucks and that is what we are sticking to and we will force clients to buy those trucks even though they could go to someone else who produces the truck they want.
I think it is a mistake not to build this truck here. This could be the perfect F100 that they keep talking about building. A capable truck but put on a diet so it can park in a garage. Put the diesel in it like the rest of the world, build it here, and watch it sell like hotcakes. They claim the old Ranger is down to 2% market hotels in bournemouth share, hotels in bournemouth but when it was new it was the best selling vehicle on the market. Ford has watched the share dwindle becasue hotels in bournemouth they never put anything back into the ranger and the design is over 25 years old. Bring this workpony here.
First of all you would have to put a gun to my head to buy a Ford Truck that wasn't built in the US. This new Ranger is sick and I would have bought one when my F150 was paid off. The only reason I am in an F150 now is because while I was in the market for a new truck the 2008 Ranger was the same as my 98 Ranger other than the interior and sheet metal(pretty sad). So I gave them the benefit of the doubt and stuck with them assuming they would eventually have a more superior competitor of the Tacoma and Frontier. If Ford doesn't build and sell these in the US they will absolutely lose me to Toyota and many others. They say the compact truck market is dieing but Toyota has been steady hotels in bournemouth at 140,000+ units for the past 10 years while the Ranger dropped from the best selling compact in 1999 with 350,000 units to 55,600 in 2009. The sales didn't drop below the Tacoma's until the 2005 redesign of the Tacoma while Ford continued to make a truck that was designed in 1998. Why would you buy an out dated pick-up when there are plenty of modern hotels in bournemouth alternatives. I will be buying hotels in bournemouth a Tacoma in 2012 thanks for nothing Ford.
I don't understand this logic. There are slim pickings in the compact truck market these days, which is why an excellent small truck from Ford could work in its favor. There are still those of us who desire hotels in bournemouth a smaller workhorse, just the type I've come to enjoy in my Ranger trucks. It hauls gravel, rocks and anything my landscape design business requires, and it still fits in my garage, I can reach over the sides to get to the items back there, and it's much easier to maneuver than the land barge sized proportions of the ever grandizing full size trucks. hotels in bournemouth My Rangers have been spot on reliable, with my previous one living just up the street with a neighbor who was very happy to get it, even with nearly 200,000 miles. I've been hoping for a more modern and refined compact Ranger from Ford; I simply won't buy a full size truck, which means that I will no longer be purchasing a Ford.
I own an '04 Ranger Edge, a fantastic truck that has so far required but routine maintainance. I have debate buying a newer model, but since, except for minor cosmetic changes,the 2010 Ranger looks the same as my '04, an upgrade didn't make much sense. I kept hearing that Ford was going to redsign the Ranger or replace it with a proposed F-100 model, so I've waited. Now, not only are they not doing a redesign or renaming, but they are going to abandon the compact pickup market altogether, hotels in bournemouth I don't I should be sad or cheesed off. If I had wanted or needed an F-150 I would have bought one. As
No comments:
Post a Comment